It’s been a while since I wrote about Pylyglot, my translation searching tool that I use whenever I translate open source applications. Have not heard about Pylyglot? Read the About page for more info!
The reasons for the long hiatus are too many to enumerate, but suffice to say that the project is very much alive and I intend to keep updating the translations database as often as possible.
So, what’s new? For starters, there’s a new and fancy language selector that let’s you also search for a language as you type:
There’s also support for pagination as searching for certain terms could return quite a bit of results:
Lastly, the translations are only a couple of weeks old and should be updated again soon!
One thing that I removed was the ability to ask Google Translate to provide the translation for a term. It is very unfortunately for I was also working on a feature that would let you upload a translation file (e.g. nautilus.po) and get back a fully translated file, where all strings that were changed automatically were flagged as “fuzzy” by default so that someone could then review the end result. But alas, due to the somewhat recent changes to Google Translate policy, I decided that it was not worth supporting this feature anymore.
Work and my personal life has kept me busy but I still intend to maintain this project alive and hopefully turn it into something useful for those who work on translations. There are a few things that I’d like to do, such as update the code to be more Django 1.4 “compliant” and turn the process of updating translations more dynamic and “on demand”. Unfortunately hosting Pylyglot on a shared Dreamhost environment and using a “shotgun” approach doesn’t work well as they have some very restrictive memory consumption threshold for individual processes.
Anyhow, feel free to fork the code and send your suggestions (or pull requests). :)